Wednesday, August 6, 2008

...and nobody got hurt!

Today being the first Wednesday of the month, I went to Senior Citizen's day at the grocery. I've been there before and vowed I would not try it again but now I feel I have to take part because since I am not working this year at school, I have to watch my pennies. I even took coupons! The thing is, the really, really old people are there in force. They come as a couple and he pushes the basket and takes up half of the aisle and she chooses the items off the shelves, thereby taking the other half of the aisle. It does no good to say, "Excuse me." because they don't hear too well and they are focused on the task at hand. Gridlock in every aisle. Only the beer aisle is clear, because it is about two times as wide as the other aisles but I don't drink beer ;however, I do stop there for a little respite.

In the beer aisle, no one pushes their basket into you or into your basket, or knocks cans of beans off the shelf, or boxes of cereal, no peaches rolling across the floor because the bottom peach looked better than the one on top.

I must say I do share the shock of the prices, the containers are getting smaller and the contents are less but the price is the same or even higher. They reduce the amount of ice cream by a pint and make the container look like it holds a full gallon and then put a sign on it saying' SALE'. They are so disingenuous. Whoever "they" are .

By the time I left the store, I felt like I had been in the demolition derby. I lived through the Great Depression, World War Two and now shopping at the peak hour for seniors at Krogers. Next month I am going really, really early and try to beat the mob. Total cost for the day, $73.53. Ciao.

No comments: