Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eerie Misty Day

There were very few humans in the park today, as I drove through.There were two men walking down the fairway on the first hole looking mighty cold but determined. They were bundled up in their heavy weight winter jackets with their hoods up and the gloves on their left hands were definitely not golf gloves. The mist was not yet frozen but pretty near. I could imagine their wives at home wondering if they were truly on the golf course or drinking coffee in the club house or certifiable. I think I would go for the last choice.

The whole scene was gray, the ominous looking sky had heavy dark clouds, and the winds were brisk. I could see the men's breath as they pushed their wheeled golf caddies along. The stark, naked trees were gray against the gray sky,the mist was so heavy that the intermitant swipe of the wind shield wipers was necessary for clear vision. I saw neither a single squirrel (or a married one for that matter)nor a bird

A lone male runner, in black spandex pants and a bright yellow jacket ran up the hill near the 'shoe tree'. Looked mighty lonely, but not as cold looking as the two golfers. His helmet type hat had ear muffs and he had black gloves on.

There was no traffic, I met no cars and there were none behind me. I have never seen the park so desolate looking. Could the usual runners, bikers, walkers, golfers have been scared off by the much touted threats of one to three inches of snow? What else could have convinced all of them to take a Saturday morning off? The two golfers and the lone runner were the macho men of the week. Kudos to them!

Twelve hours later, still no snow, and that's a good thing! Ciao

No comments: