Tuesday, June 5, 2007

There's a Song in My Head

In a conversation that I was having the other day I was reminded of an incident that took place in Greece a few years back when Linda and I traveled there. I decided
to share some of those experiences once in awhile.
We were in Athens one evening and were walking around visiting the various shops in the Platka and a street vendor came along pushing a huge wooden cart filled with dark red Bing cherries. Those cherries looked so delicious and were not at all expensive. The vendor was a very old Greek man with a slouch hat and baggy pants, as he put the scoops of cherries in a bag for me, one cherry fell to the street. Using the five second rule, I reached down and scooped it up, rubbed it on my skirt and popped it into my mouth. One of the people with our group was horrified.She rushed over and put her arm around my shoulder and chastised me for eating a cherry off the dirty Athens street. The temperature that day had been 105 degrees and I didn't think germs could survive the heat. We all bought cherries and then decided to go up to our room and eat them. One of the women had asked me to teach her some of the songs that I used to sing to my children when they were little. She has two young children and wanted suggestions. I agreed to teach her but had not yet found the time or place to begin.

No comments: