Monday, May 7, 2007

Hollywood continued

This was the first Derby ever for Paul Duryea and so I told him early on what to expect. When we first got there the whole area was still wet and muddy from the overnight rains, the track was one sloppy mess. Our location is right on the fence and then there is about 10 feet of grass and then the track, so we are well aware of the condition of the track throughout the day. When those horses roar around that bend and head on full speed ahead for that finish line they could well say, "Here's mud in your eye". "Not to worry," I told Paul. It was only about noon and I assured him that in a few races and a few draggings of the track by the draggin machines,all would be well and when the horses came around that bend they'd be kicking up dust. It was quite grey and gloomy also but there again I told him that just before the Derby when he could hear the first strains of "My Old Kentucky Home" the sun would burst through the clouds and shine bright on our Old Ky. Home. He was very amused at my senario, he did't believe me! He muttered, "Yeah, right"! The track became dryer and dryer and looked more and more loamy as we watched from race 1 through 9 but the skies were still cloudy and gray till, Hark! just as the strains of MOKH began what to our wondering eyes should appear but the beautiful sun bursting through the clouds and we all knew that the DERBY was near. I explained to Paul that we would all be expected to sing and when we get to the part where we sing, "Weep no more ,my Lady, weep no more today, we will sing one song for my OLD KENTUCKY HOME" (the obligatory tear should be rolling down your cheek) " for My Old Kentucky Home far away." He protested loudly at that. " No way," he jeered, "no way". He claimed that he did not know the words so he could not sing." HA" my turn to jeer. "I'll teach you the words. Just watch my lips." I sang as loud as I could and lead the onlookers behind us to join in and as advertised, right on cue, Karen burst into tears! This totally, absolutely, wiped Paul out. He shouted, "I can't believe this!" I saw what I thought was a tear in his eye but he insisted it was a drop of beer that had splashed into his eye! Aw, come on.! I told the crowd, "He just doesn't get it. He JUST doesn't get it." Paul,you've got one year to learn the words, when you come next year we will expect you to join us. Stephen Foster will be honored. Bring extra kleenex for the onslaught of tears!

We had such a perfect day. Alex and his young cousin Thomas were delightful. They wanted to see everything and wanted everything explained. Furlongs, tri-fectas, boxed bets,out riders, etc. they went home with an extended vocabulary. All of Pat's friends and family that accompanied him were enthralled. Nathan's ump friend and his girl friend had a great time too. I understand that Scott, (I think that was his name) wanted to ask his girl friend to marry him while they were here but I'm not sure that that happened. Once again I'm very tired and will be in bed soon. Having fun can be tiring. I love having Cynthia come and glad she brought Paul this year, now she'll have to work on other family members. Even Doc asks why Mart doesn't come. Mart, come on down! IRISH BLESSING, May the dust of your carriage wheels blind the eyes of your foes. "Slainthe is saul agat" (Health and life to you!!)

We all thank Brian for giving us the opportunity to have such a magnificent day. I thank him for carting me around in the Gator. Queen Eliz. couldn't be treated any better than I am. Linda held down the fort and provided my glass or two of wine and Karen provided the wine glasses and sang a duet with me to keep me centered. "What's round on the ends and hi in the middle?" (Reminds us of our roots). Gregg, too, he provided the tarp, the gazebo and the smoked turkey that once again was so delicious. Let's hear it for my family! See the pictures on the Web Site.

No comments: