Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Phone rage

I have to wonder what things I could have accomplished if I could have utilized the time I've spent trying to tend to business by using the "convenience " of the telephone. I've become very leery of the jaunty, cheery, phony voice that greets the caller with, "Welcome to ..." I swear it is the same man's voice, no matter who you are calling. "Welcome to National City!" Welcome to Insight!", Welcome to AT&T!" " For English, press one, for Espanol press two" then come the choices of presses. All choices connect you to computer voices and more opportunities to 'press numbers. Problem is, none of the choices even remotely address the problem you are calling about.

Fury is futile, scurrilous remarks fall on deaf ears, tears of frustration are wasted and when you do eventually reach a 'press ee' that gives you hope of talking to an actual human being with a pulse, you are put on hold.

"Hold" is a unique method of torture. Elevator and grocery music is delightful compared to 'hold' music. I think when the 'Welcome to... guy answers his first directive should be press a number to say," No "to 'hold' music.

In the unlikely event that you do eventually get a human being on the line, I always feel compelled to ask if they are ,in fact, human. Sometimes I hear a tinge of displeasure in their voice and I am not always able to contain my aggravation at talking finally to a real person. I frequently have to apologize for the fact that when I initiated the call more than two hours ago, I had a purpose in calling but due to the stress of number pressing, making choices, listening to torturous music and managing my anger, I can no longer remember why I was calling!

Life is tough in this tech world!

No comments: