Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Long Time No Blog!

I have had a busy summer, so far. I think my house will be the first house on the block to be totally energy efficient. My utility bills were so outlandish all winter that I was overwhelmed. My house was always cold even with two rooms closed off and the thermostat set at a low setting. I needed a supplemental electric heater to warm my bed room, where I spent most of my time trying to keep warm. Still the bills were $280.00 or more a month. Mike called LG&E and requested that they do an assessment on my house to see why my bills were so exorbitant. One inspector led to another,and finally I became the recipient of the weatherization program group. This originally started in late January or early February. Off and on since then, I have had people in and out of my house improving my energy saving existence.

First I've had all new light bulbs to replace my incandescent bulbs. I had already started to replace the old bulbs with new but they were so expensive that I was doing it one or two at a time. One month I found a "buy one get one free " deal which I snapped right up because it was Senior Day at Kroger's and all purchases were 10% off. Good deal! However when I got home and promptly took one of the bulbs up to switch it out with another, I dropped it and broke it! Bummer. Not only that but that was the night on the news when they said the new light bulbs were hazardous because they contained mercury. They suggested that the haz-mat group be called to help clean up the residue. I had already cleaned it up and disposed of it in the trash can. I worried for about ten minutes until I recalled my kids having mercury in a bottle at sometime during their growing up years and all of us "playing" with it. It separated when poked and then rejoined into the original blob when prodded. Anyway, I now have a plethora of energy saving light bulbs. They do not give off enough light, as far as I can see, but I will abide by the suggestions. I also have "water saving" devises on all my faucets and my shower head. I don't especially like those either. It takes forever to fill up a container with water. (Whine,whine).

Next on the agenda was a new furnace, that was installed in May when it was nice and warm. I already had an energy saving water heater and was advised to do all my laundry on a cold/cold setting. OK, I can handle that. The furnace was not needed in May because the weather was Goldy locks good, not too hot and not too cold but just right. LG&E bill was only $99. 00. Things were looking up!

. I failed to mention earlier that due to the ice storm in late January and early February, we had numerous tree limbs fall on the roof that resulted in three holes in the roof. Gregg patched the holes and I had the tree man 'clean' out the oak tree and remove the remaining dead limbs and the less secure looking limbs so as to avoid further damage from that source. I have also been under attack by the wood-peckers and have large holes in the cedar shake siding on the car port shed and on the side of the carport eave. I had to have a man come and replace that damage with vinyl siding.

In the middle of June a cadre of men showed up to begin the insulation process. The over-seer of all of these repairs is a 6'5" man named Rich. He has high expectations of his workers and is a tough task master. In his mind the only way to do a job is to do it properly. No half-way measures for him. When the job does not suit him he demands a re-do. I spent all of last week with men in and out of the house doing their thing. Fergus and I adjusted! I had to call a hiatus from June 27 until July 5 because I went to the beach with Karen, Paul and family, but when I got back the men came again to finish the tasks. I also got a new refrigerator in the midst of all of the activity,(energy efficient, of course).

I have 2 inch holes every 18 inches in my living room, kitchen, bathroom bed rooms and office room walls. That's where they blew in the insulation. The attic has been insulated over the whole house. There had to be a new access cut in the ceiling of the carport so they could access the attic over the living room. The holes in the walls had to be patched with dry wall mud and have to be repainted, by us, sooner or later. The holes all have yet to be sanded so I know that there will be dust on every surface, every crack and cranny of the house! Yikes! Big dusting party, all are invited, bring your own duster!

They discovered yesterday that the pan that drains the condensation from the air conditioner has rusted, there-by ruining the coil or some such thing and I need a new air conditioner which they are coming tomorrow to begin replacing!

The air-conditioner men will be here at the same time the insulation men will be finishing up and I think Fergus and I will be looking forward to a glass of wine at the end of the day! I'll have to drink his for him, but I'm up to the task!

I feel I've done my duty for the environment and hope my LG&E bills will show that it was worth the effort. I think they will owe me money instead of me owing them once all of these adjustments kick in! Right? I can't wait until January to see my bill.

PS, the vacation was fabulous and I hope I get to do that again someday! Ciao

No comments: