Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mid-summer's Night Breeze

I went to watch the Bats play the other night. Actually, I went to see Nathan umpire. I love to go to the games when he is "on duty" so to speak. He looked very svelte out there behind the plate and is very exact in his calls. He didn't throw the manager out in this game. Perhaps the manager knows better than to mess with him now!

Karen and Paul invited me to go to the game with them and I am always glad when I do get invited. It was a perfect evening for baseball! It was not too hot nor too cool, and there was a soft breeze blowing down the third base line. Our seats were not as good as at other times but good nevertheless.The Philly cheese steak boothe was near by and the facilities were also near-by. What more could you ask for?

I know you will find this hard to believe but I have heard for years and years about funnel cakes but have never seen one nor have I had one. Well I was initiated on this lovely evening. Abby ordered one and shared! Philly cheese steak sandwich, a real Coke, and funnel cake, wowzer! Next time I'm going to have an Ehrler's ice cream cone, too!) I am the original Pigster!!

The games start at 7:00 o'clock and we were meeting Scott, Kathy, Gus and Abby at 6:30 at Will Call, but Karen and Paul had an errand to attend to before the game and picked me up early. They will be traveling extensively next month and wanted to up-grade their cell phones and go high tech. Get with the jet set, so to speak! So, we went to the Sprint store and I looked on with great interest and listened to their dickering with Dustin to make their decision on what to buy. I had my borrowed camera and took pictures of the whole transaction. There is so much to learn. It's no longer an easy deal to get a phone that you can call someone up on and chat and hang up, No,no,no, now you can text them in an alian language. (Waz up? R U fre to tk?) You can have their picture on the screen so you can remember who you called.( Not possible in the past!)And you can snap photos of your surroundings so that you can remember where you were when you called your 'party'. You can check the weather, ball scores, current riots, sex scandals, and anything else you might want to know.
You can e-mail your boss, facebook, twitter, resturants, Doctors, parole officers,etc. The possibilities are endless. Bored? Play games on your phone while you wait, Listen to the Beatles, Rap artists, life is beyond beautiful! Can you get a discount? just ask, its as simple as that.

Karen chose a black and red phone/blackberry and Paul chose a black and orange/gold one. They were euphoric with joy as we went to the parking lot to get into the car and move on to the ball game. Dustin had given them basic instructions on how to use their new life changing purchases. We got into the car and were in the act of buckling in when lo and behold, Karen's NEW phone rang. She was so exacited, she said,"I'm getting a call!" "Hello" she shouted. "Is that you?" Paul said into his phone on the front seat beside her! Oh,dear! To quote Samuel Morse when he invented the telegraph and received his first message, 'What hath God wrought?'

Nothing could dampen my spirits at the ball game it was nirvana, however; fortunately I love teen agers and can tolerate about anything that they come up with so I was very tolerant of the two ancient, no that's too harsh, two retired former teenagers acting like teenagers! Tim was brought into the mix because he has had a Blackberry for sometime and was called frequently during the evening to instruct the novices. What a good guy! He finally responded to the frequent calls with a picture of himself that said more than a thousand words. I loved the whole evening, what fun!!!

The Bats won 5 to 2. Ciao

2 comments:

Dolberry! said...

Wait a second ... baseball ... cheesesteaks ... and the chance to heckle the umpire?!? Why wasn't Dolberry invited?!?

Dolberry! said...

BTW, that was a hysterical post.

U R AOK, OPT!