Monday, January 18, 2010

Sarasota in January

Where sand and water meet the sky. It was a very windy day on Siesta Key. I still enjoyed being there. The ocean has a way of calming one and perhaps soothing the savage soul. Not that my soul was savage but I am better for having been to the beach.



My trip to Sarasota was short but indeed, a respite from the icy winds and sub freezing temperatures of Louisville. I didn't mind the snow, in fact, I loved it enough that I did take shovel in hand and cleared the walk from the driveway to the porch and cleared the back deck. The snow was powdery and light weight and actually fun to shovel. However; I was tired of being invigorated by the blistering cold.



The first day or so in Sarasota was plenty cold. Their home is being added to and so their heat and air conditioning has been disabled. The fireplace logs were non existent because all of the natives had bought them so we had to make-do with a couple of space heaters. The first night I went to bed with my winter night gown, long silk undies, a sleep shirt, gloves and wool sox on under a pile of blankets, one of which was wool! Toastie, if I do say so. The next day it warmed up and the sun came out and it was beautiful. Each day it got warmer and warmer. The thing is, every thing was still green, flowers were blooming the sky was that special cerulean blue that is always evident in Florida and my feeling of well being increased. Hard not to be euphoric.



Our trip to the beach was wonderful. It was not too cold but was very,very windy. The thing I love about the beach is the fact that it is ever changing. I've never been to a beach that I didn't love. It is just as facinating and enthralling on cold blustery days as it is on scorchingly hot days, rainy days, cool days, summer days, any days. Conor and Ang built an elaborate sand castle, Bridget whirlled and danced at the edge of the shore line dodging the waves lapping at her feet
with her large beach towel flowing out behind her, Keith shed his jacket and went for a long walk and I relaxed on a blanket watching the pelicans swooping down to nip at the ocean. Sheer bliss!



It was a short visit, as I said, but well worth the effort. Ciao

1 comment:

Dolberry! said...

Great blog. Totally agree on the magical nature of the beach. One of my favorite moments ever was walking Garden City Beach on an out-of-place gloomy grey day.

Anyway, glad you had a nice trip & it better be good and warm in S-sota by March!