Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ya' Think Spring has Sprung?

Today is the first day of spring! I knew spring was here for sure when I saw a BMW convertible yesterday with the top down. That is a better harbinger than the robin. It was parked so I did not get to see the gent driving it but I'm sure he would be a prosperous looking, balding dude in his forties . Spring brings out the guys having their last hurrah moment. He was parked in the Doctor's parking lot so I must assume he is an MD. However today is the official date of the first day of spring according to the calendar. March 20.

I drove through the park this morning and saw many, many more signs of the vernal equinox. The runners, walkers and golfers were out in force. There were a few white blossoms on one tree that was a little ahead of the others, but the others were full of buds. My own pear trees have buds on them. By Easter we will have blossoms everywhere! The jonquil are popping up and the crocuses-(Cro-ci?) whatever, are beautiful I saw one yard full of yellow and purple crocus and even a narcissus. I do love Spring!!
I saw my first bare midriff, navel and all, on a young woman with short shorts and a bra top. It was only 42 degrees at that hour of the day but they were predicting 60 so she was going with what it would be at 3 PM not what it was at 9AM.

The naked trees are not yet beginning to turn green but it won't be long. Driving now,through the park you get to see all of the mistletoe on the upper branches and easily spot the shoes on the shoe tree. It won't be long till all of those things will once again be hidden from view. There are a multitude of squirrel nests and I am sure there are bird nests also but they are not so visible to the eye from the inside of a car.

We 've had such an intense winter that all of these spring signs are more than welcome. I forgot to look and see if the black snow piles are all melted yet at Bowman Field. I am assuming that they are. But alas, don't put the snuggies in moth balls yet. April is the cruelest month and it is yet to come! Ciao

No comments: