Friday, July 27, 2007

My Own Typhoon

We have something this year that we have been striving for for years. A beautiful lawn! No thanks to anything that we did though, all the credit goes to Gregg. We always maintained the lawn, we fertilized in the spring and fall and put out grass seed each year and Doc mowed regularly. I sat on a little box year after year and dug out the dandelions, knowing full well that dandelions are like sins, you can spend your whole life trying to get rid of them but when you die they are still there. After a few bouts with the sewers and the MSD the yard was nothing more than a patch of weeds with a little grass on it. Doc became unable to take care of it so Gregg took over. He fertilized, planted grass seed and used weed killer and worked a miracle. The lawn is beautiful. In order for it to stay beautiful it needs water and we have had draught and near draught conditions for the last two or three years. Gregg didn't want all of his hard work to be in vain so he installed a sprinkler. It is really neat. It is in the front bushes and it ossilates to be able to sprinkle the whole front lawn. The faucet is right outside the front door and so I can step over and stoop over when I go out to get the paper in the morning and turn it on and the automatic timer turns it off. No brainer for me.
We haven't had rain for two days or so and I stooped down to turn it on yesterday morning. Wow!I was hit by a full force blast of water. It was so powerful that I couldn't even reach over to turn it off because it was in my face and eyes and every place else. I ran around to the car and got my umbrella out and came back with it to protect my face and eyes from the blast and still had to struggle to get it off. I wonder what the people in the cars thought if they looked over and saw me. What a great home vidio it would have made. I was soaked clear through to the skin. My hair and face and clothes were dripping water. Fergus was watching me out the storm door which was getting pounded with water too. Water has a way of triggering bodily function urges and I didn't want to run through the living room in my watery state so I ran to the back door which I found was locked! I wish I had the ability to shake off the water like Fergus would have done but I am not so blessed. I had to go back through the living room after all and head for the bathroom. Not a dry spot on me. It was a very funny scene. I only wish someone could have seen it and joined me in my laughter. Apparently some one had bumped the devise and turned it the wrong way. I haven't tried to fix it yet. I'm not sure that I can and I would be afraid to turn it on to test it and run the risk of another dousing. We'll see. Thankfully it has rained off and on ever since so I haven't needed the water for the lawn. Keep the umbrella handy is my motto!Ciao

1 comment:

Papa Sparky said...

An Owl's Pine Tree Link has been added on my blog site. Get ready for some traffic.