Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Although St. P's day is tomorrow, we have already celebrated it. Last night we, Karen, Kristin and I, joined Tim, and Paul and quite a few other Irish or psuedo Irish at the Bonnycastle Club to see an Irish Band and have sandwiches and the libation of choice. Paul, Tim and other fellow Hibernians marched in the St. Patrick's day parade. It rained, pretty much all day long. Sometimes it teemed rain but you know that would not stop a few Irishmen from walking, or marching or staggering down the middle of the street. It was a great day for the Guinn..I mean the Irish. The major complaint was how cold their hands got. Some had to pull the sleeves of their sweat shirts down over their hands so that they could hold the cold beers. I tell ya, life's tough in these river towns.

The music was great, they played many Irish favorites, sneaked a Scotish tune in and even a Hank Williams tune. There were four children there, three, four or five year old boys and an eight year old girl that danced all night long. Their energy was limitless. The band members said it gave them pleasure to see those kids having such a good time and spurred them on to play even more tunes. The young girl had the dance style of the River Dancers down pat and except for keeping her upper body still like they do, she is ready to Go. Fun! The band had one woman, I assume a Celtic girl, she played the flute and did a great job with a tin whistle. They said their lead singer was not with them but the fellow that took over for him was good. One guy was very colorful with a jaunty green hat and a Greatful Dead silk shirt on. It was as near to the feeling of being in an Irish Pub as I've had since being in Ireland. Having the young kids there and a grandpa dancing with his little grandson and a grandma with another tot and all the young couples having a convivial time in good company, with a generation older than them and a generation younger than them it was a memorable occasion. I hope I live to see another St. Patrick's Day! (Or maybe more) An Irish toast;" May you live all the Days of your life. Slainte"

Tomorrow back to school. I am looking forward to Spring Break. I've had about enough of waking up at 6AM every day!

310 days left till we have a new president.

Quote for today:" I like my buddies from West Texas. I liked them when I was young. I liked them when I was middle age. I liked them before I was president, and I like them during president, and I like them after preident."

--President Bush, Dr. Seuss-style, February 1, 2006

2 comments:

Papa Sparky said...

It was nice seeing you at the club! We had a great time as well, or at least that's what my wife tells me! Here's looking forward to another delightful St. Pat's with our dear family and friends!

Kathryn said...

I love the Dr. Suess quote Grandma. Very funny. I am sorry we missed the St. Patty's at the Castle. We'll have to join you next year.