Friday, June 13, 2008

Tim Russert R.I.P.

As those of you that know me know that I am a political junkie. I love politics, government, history, and anything to do with those subjects. I love to watch all the TV coverage of the elections, the candidates and openion shows. I like to be informed. I like to try to make informed decisions when I vote, at any level. I cringe at the thought of people going to the polls and voting for people because they like their name, because their next door neighbor likes a certain one, or because the candidate is good looking, or for any number of frivolous reasons. Maybe we'd be better off if they just didn't vote at all.

For a number of years I have read the columnists, listened to the broadcasters, read News magazines, read The Atlantic, Washington Monthly and other publications that keep us informed so that I can get a better picture of the people that will be running our city,county, and Country. I think it is every American's duty to ask what our candidates believe in, what their concerns are, are they going to try to make an effort to better the lives of all the people, rich and poor alike. I want compassionate people governing our country. The only way I can get a handle on what kind of people are seeking office is to pay close attention to all of the above mentioned venues.

I also have to study the people telling us the news, I read about their backgrounds, their education, their family lives their veracity and integrity. Some of them I can dismiss out of hand because they do not exhibit the values and behavior that meet the highest standards.

Tim Russert was one of the people that I held in high regard. He was honest, humorous, compassionate, well informed and above all ,he was kind. Even though he was a relentless interviewer, he was never arrogant or openly judgemental. He tried his best to present people as they truly are. If they were not the caliber of person we would want to vote for he had a way of questioning them so that we could figure out for ourselves what they were like. I did not always agree with his predictions but I did agree more often than not. My disagreement at times was because I didn't want him to be right, but he was right more often than not, too

He was not shy about saying that he was a Roman Catholic, had gone to schools taught by Jesuits, he frequently mentioned a nun that was influncial in his life. He had good values and valued highly his family, his dad, his son and his wife. His dad drove a garbage truck in Buffalo, NY at one time, his parents were down to earth hard working, religious people and he followed in their footsteps and spoke often about giving his son those values that he had been taught. He was a humble man and he was not embarrassed to shed tears when the atrocites were overwhelming or on a few occasions, poignant.

Many, many times I've said, after watching some speech or some election result or some scandal, "I can't wait to see what Tim Russert has to say." He was so young and he is going to miss perhaps what will be the most important election in the history of America and we will miss him. I shed tears today. Who will be able to step up and try to fill the void?

1 comment:

Papa Sparky said...

After channel surfing last night it was apparent he was well regarded among all the news folks, and across all political affiliations. Larry King was talking about him, Geraldo (for God's sake) was talking about him. He was the topic of conversation on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC. They all had nothing but good things to say about him.