Monday, May 4, 2009

Blog 2 for 5/5/09 Derby 135

Once again I had a great time at the Derby even though it was totally different than the recent Derbies. Number one, we did not have our usual place at the backside. Some one else usurped our place that we have occupied for years. Ideal spot, right on the fence, but this year we had to make do with a sight further down the strip and not on the fence. There was a plethora of people everywhere so we had to do a little hip bumping to get a good spot in the viewing stand in order to watch the horses run by. But watch them we did. I was glad to be 5 ft. tall, because the tall guys invited me to get in front of them and thereby stand right on the rail of the viewing stand, it also helps to be very, very old. (Or pretend to be).

I had determined a few years ago to always bet the horses with Bird in their names. There were two horses in this year's derby with Bird and both of them were 50 to 1 odds so I bet both of them across the board. As you know, Mine That Bird came in so I won $175.00 on him and I also put those two horses and Lucas's horse, Flying Private in a $1.00 matrix bet and so I won $50.00 more on that bet.

I had saved my winning tickets from last year and cashed them at the beginning of the day and that was what funded my bets for the Derby. The horse that I won on last year was named Einstein and he was running again so I bet him again and he won. He didn't pay as much as last year because he's been winning a lot this year so his odds are down. I did have Big Brown last year too but Brian wants that winning ticket, which I still have. So anyway, all my winnings this year were prepaid, so to speak, it cost me nothing!

It was suggested that I save my tickets again for next year but I am pretty money strapped so I am forced to cash them.

It was a very pleasant day, cool enough to be comfortable and warm enough not to have to be bundled up. Our personal crowd was down, just Paul,Karen, Linda, Larry Gregg, Brian and I but we joined some of Brian's friends and they were very amenable. So it was a fun day and I am so glad I got to go. I hope I get to go next year too! Ciao.

No comments: