Tuesday, April 6, 2010

eASTER eGGS

We sometimes joke about the C &E Catholics. They are the Catholics that only come to church on Christmas and Easter, and while I am glad to see all of them there, I sometimes resent the ones that sit in My pew. I designate it, my pew, when actually it is any not any one's pew. It is there for the general population and just because I choose to sit there every Sunday does not make it MY pew. We become so territorial as time goes by. I claim ownership for the space where I park my car each Sunday! Then when someone usurps My space, I feel put upon. I heard that some wag , in an attempt to be funny, posted a sign on the windshield of one of the usurpers saying, " Thanks to you, I had to walk three blocks to get to church today. I faithfully attend every Sunday and park in an easily accessible space a few steps from the door of the church; however today you are parked in My space and probably will be sitting in My pew while I stand in the back of the church hoping I do not faint from over exertion! May God bless you." That is rather amusing but I must question the Christian spirit of the sign writer. I am sure he/she had no intention of offending the recipient of the sign.



My pew and My parking space were up for grabs Easter Sunday because I went to church with K and P. I could very well have been considered a usurper at their church. It was a very beautiful ceremony. We knew that we needed to arrive early but to our chagrin we found that 45minutes early is too early. We toured the back streets of J-town and found our way to Wallmart to buy some Honey Buns. Yes, you heard me right!



We were back in plenty of time to get a parking space and there were many pews available. I loved the ceremony. At St. Martha the Mass I attend is a 'no frills' Mass. So it was wonderful to hear all of the trumpets, and the organ and the joyful voices of the choir singing, and the parade of the celebrant, servers and others entering the church. There was a young child being baptized at that Mass and she walked up the aisle with her parents and her siblings following behind the priest et al. She was garbed in a dull brown robe and responded to all questions at the back of the church by the baptismal font by nodding her head. Father had introduced her as Elaina and said she was very shy.



The whole ceremony was very reverent and thought provoking. There were many young children in church and I could not help but compare their murmurings and cooing to the birds in my back yard in the early morning.

Father gave a very good and timely sermon. I listened to his words and wondered why the Pope could not speak to our church in the same manner and use some of the same words. He pointed out that the people in the church this morning and the people around the world that have professed to be members of the Roman Catholic Church are in fact 'the church'. He spoke of how embarrassed he and all of the other priests that are not involved in the scandalous behavior of the few that have dishonored the church. He expressed anger at their behavior and said he understands our anger and disgust.

It was a sermon that lifted my spirits and I hope other members of the clergy will have the courage to stand up for the good and be courageous enough to express their own outrage and give notice to any one out there that is covering up this egregious behavior that we will not tolerate them any longer. Father pointed out that their actions are not only sinful they are also criminal.

The Mass started at 8:30 A.M. and ended at 10:04 A.M. Karen and Paul had a bet riding on the time that the ceremony would end. Would it end before 10:00 or after 10:00? Loser had to cook breakfast. Karen had picked after ten so Paul had to do the honors for breakfast. He prepared a great mushroom and spinach omelet, English muffins and the Honey Buns. BUT we are not just talking Honey Buns....He split them in two, slathered them with butter and FRIED them. (He is on a diet.) After the repast, he asked if it was too early to have a beer!!!Now, there's a man that lives on the edge.( He did not have the beer ;0)

My Easter wasn't over yet, I went to Linda's for dinner and I will write about that tomorrow, It also was wonderful. Ciao

No comments: