Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Scary Times

I think part of the reason why I have not written much on my blog lately is because most of the news is so depressing and I hate to write about what's going on. One benefit of writing the cook book is that I am not spending as much time watching the news shows. I've been in a funk lately and am really bordering on depression . When I analyze my feelings I have to realize that things are going well in my life. I am in very good health, my most recent colonoscopy was 'clean' and I was told to come back in three years. My routine check up from the gastro-enterologist was good, I have energy and enjoy helping out at MDS, no one has broken in to my house lately, no intruders have dropped in to scare the lights out of me, so why am I so glum?

I've become more and more upset about the gun issue in this country. When people feel free to carry guns at all times, when the media shows pictures of people openly carrying rifles to public gatherings. I read an account in the paper yesterday about a whole group of men, self designated militiamen, carrying AK-47's over their shoulders and holstered 9 mm, guns on their bodies and displaying their casch of ammo on their belts. Their message, they claimed was that they were peaceful but ready to 'take back' their country when the time is right.

A few years ago a friend and I were having lunch together when another person joined us. She had been off work the day before and explained to us that her husband had traveled out of town to a gun show and she had gone with him. She said he bought two more guns to add to his large collection of guns. One of us asked why he had so many guns and she replied, "He wants to be ready when the little black folks try to take over entirely". She said when the time came she was going to take her son and get the heck out of Dodge. I admit that her statements shocked me! That was the first time I realized that we have our own home grown terrorists to fear. They are not all in the hills of Utah, or the hinterlands of Michigan, or other back country locations but we have them right here in our own back yard in Louisville, Kentucky.

I used to worry and deplore the fact that so many hand guns found their way into the hands of the criminals and the irresponsible segment of society.I lamented the fact that so many youth were killed by other youths that had access to guns. It was almost epidemic in our city. I looked upon it as a waste of human lives. Little did I know that lurking in the grey area were droves of men arming themselves with enough fire power to kill us all. WHY?

I think we all know why these rabble rousers are out there screaming in the streets holding up their obscene signs and threatening all of us.

The First Amendment gives the people the right to PEACEABLY assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Second Amendment says "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, gives the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

Please, someone tell me, are these amendments being properly interpreted?

Let us pray," God, protect us from anxiety and God protect us from the enemy! Amen,"

Are there any among you who remember"Pogo" on the comic page? He said, "We was lookin' for the enemy and found the enemy is us".
Ciao

No comments: