Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Here I Go Again!

I am, once again going into radiation treatments. This time it is for an external reason not internal as it was back in 2006 or whenever that was. I have standing appointments each year with a dermatologist. Because of my red hair and delicate skin I grow a crop of skin 'bumps, lumps. warts, barnacles,etc' every six months or so. I have had a spot on my right forehead that was treated as a pre-cancerous growth for a few years. Finally after the fourth or fifth treatment that did not get rid of it, it was determined that it was,in fact, a squamous cell cancer. The doctor did a procedure called a Mohs Procedure and found that it was necessary to remove it surgically. He then determined that I would need Radiation Therapy. I am going to record a day by day, or treatment by treatment accaount of my experience.

Yesterday was my first appointment at the Radiation Center at Norton Cancer Radiation Center.

I was under the impression that I would be starting radiation right away. I should have know better because I had radiation treatments three or four years ago after my colorectol surgery. I had, first of all, to meet with the radiologist and give my history and so forth to them before I could begin. My last radiation was at Baptist East Oncology Center but Dr.Wharton sent me to Norton's. Norton's Radiology department is on the ground floor of the adjoining building to the hospital. Ground floor translates, to me , as basement. I worried the whole weekend that it would be a dark and gloomy place. I wasn't too far off. Naturally there are no windows, except for fake ones that are supposed to give the impression that there is a view of outside behind those curtains. Artificial light is all the light there is.

The room that I was placed in first was so cold that my teeth chattered and my hands turned purple and black as they are prone to do when they are cold. I was very nervous, which added to my shaking. The nurse, named Jane, was very nice and very understanding. she moved me to a warmer room and turned the heat up. I liked her immediately. She took my history and remarked about how I certainly did not look 84 years old. I responded as I usually do by asking, "Would I lie?" We both laughed and went on with the questions. She explained to me what would be happening and gave me a packet of information to study and read over.

We discussed the external beam radiation therapy as compared to the internal beam that I had already endured. I was given a list of suggestions that will be helpful to me for the duration. Stay out of the sun, wear a hat, don't use a tanning bed, wear protective clothing, long sleeves, long pants use sun screen. Most of these things are a way of life for me. I have always avoided the sun. I sat on the porch and watched my family cavorting in the waves and basking in the sunshine for many, many years. If I did go out on the beach I sat under an umbrella and a pile of towels.

The doctor came in to talk to me, too. He, also, studied my history and questioned me about my past medical history. I liked him too, he is very personable and has a very firm hand shake. He explained, at length, exactly what the treatments will consist of. He confirmed the fact that I will be suffering from fatigue again as I was before, I may have head aches, discomfort with dry, itchy skin or a sunburned look. I will not have tatoos as I had before but will have markings on my skin that have been made by a marker and have to be left there, no rubbing them off, because they show where to place the radiation. He said I would probably be losing some of my hair and will definitely lose the hair that is around the area that will be radiated. It WILL NOT grow back. Andrea, I NEED you.

Because I am having radiation to the head, I will be wearing a mask. He said they wet the mask before placing it over your face and it will feel warm and similar to a massage. I will be able to see through it and there will be holes cut for my nose and mouth, so I can breathe. It attaches to the table where I will lie to receive the treatments. The mask helps to keep my head from moving so that I am in the exact same position for each treatment. I have to confess that this terrifies me. I am claustrophobic and I don't even want to think about this! It sounds like a Dick Chaney devise to me. I hope I can tolerate it without having a panic attack. Let us pray.

The location also gives me claustrophobic feelings. No windows! It's going to be a long four weeks. I'll write again on Friday. That's when I go back for my cat-scan and find out when the torture begins. Ciao.

No comments: