Friday, September 25, 2009

This moring at 2:20 AM I was awakened by the phone ringing. I normally get very frightened when the phone rings in the middle of the night but I've been getting calls every now and then from GE employees saying they are not going to be at work. I am always tempted to say that there is a new practice now and they can have the next three days off. So far I've restrained myself. When it rang this morning I answered and it was a female asking what I was doing! I was very civil to her and suggested that she look up the number and be aware of the numbers she was punching. I hung up but she obviously didn't take my advise because she called back in a few minutes. Once I am awake it is almost impossible for me to go back to sleep. So I had quite a few hours to lie there and think up things to worry about. I finally turned on the TV at 4 AM and watched a show whose name I cann't remember.

I decided that I would not need any locks loosened today. It is my eighth treatment and it is time I make a greater effort to accept the fact that it is probably as bad as it gets. So lie there and breathe easily and it will be OK.

Gregg was going to take me but he and Paul stayed here and stripped wall paper off the kitchen walls and Karen took me. There is usually a pretty full waiting room but for some reason there was only one fellow there when we got there. I didn't have to wait long at all. I didn't even have time to look for a magazine. Jennifer, the regular tech, came up to get me and when I got down to the room we were all ready to get started.

The mask slipped on easily and I took deep breaths to relax myself and the treatment began. No problem. My skin is beginning to get pretty red and does hurt now more than it has been. I guess I knew it was coming so I am not complaining. The radiation itself does not hurt at all, its like having a flash light beam aimed at your head but it is beginning to burn the skin. I have twelve more treatments to go.

If my skin holds up and I don't have to take any time off, I will finish up about October 13. Seems a long time to go but I'm hoping it goes quickly.

Big day today! TGIF I don't go back until Monday! Ciao

1 comment:

Dolberry! said...

Grandma, thanks for recording all this in the blog. Doesn't sound like that much fun. Good luck tomorrow. We'll be praying for you.

At church today the sermon was about how suffering can be a gift from God ... in that it causes you to remember what's truly important. Seemed to make sense from the non-sufferers perspective, but wonder what you think in this period.

A cancer survivor spoke and it was very powerful. Know that you are a surviror as well, so keep hanging in there. Once you get into the 2nd half, hopefully it'll go fast.