Monday, September 28, 2009

Same Place Same Time

The two weekend days go by in a hurry. Fortunately, I can put the mask out of my mind for a few days and I have time to tell myself that I can certainly do this! It'll be over before I know it. I still have not reached the half way mark but I'm getting closer!

Today it is a little cooler outside and a whiff of fall in the air. We got there just on time today and I discovered that I had changed purses over the weekend and forgot to transfer my I.D. arm bracelet to the purse I was carrying. I ask the person at the sign-in desk if that meant I could not have a treatment today because I didn't have my official I.D. with me, but she was sure I had left it home on purpose to try to weazle out of the treatment and insisted on making me a new one! Some people are so acommodating!

They were a little late calling me in to the treatment room. It is a downhill trek to get there. There are stainless steel rails along the wall to assist you and the floor is a beautiful inlaid designed wooden ramp. I can kind of coast down there.

I always have to remove my hat and the protective piece of gauze from my head before getting on the treatment table. I, for some reason or other always forget to remove my glasses. The assistant teck kids me about not taking off my "eye balls". Today I made a concerted effort to remember it on my own without having to be reminded. They laughed and congratulated me on remembering.

They gently placed the mask on but it hurt again and we had to adjust my position on the table. Just a fraction of an inch can make such a difference. They both worked to move my body, or head to get it right before they could proceed. The clamps had to be locked and then unlocked and locked again to accomplish the task. Finally, we achieved the position and they loosened one clamp and said we were all ready to go.

I began my mental gymnastic measuring as they left the room and the treatment started. It was the longest one I've had so far. I went beyond my measurement system but it finally ended. It left me very,very fatigued. I could hardly lift my leg to climb into Karen's car. When I got home, I made it upstairs to lie on the bed. I didn't even remove my hat. I woke up at 3:00 PM. I had to make myself get up and tend to some things that had to be done around here.

Jennifer told me this morning that my skin is starting to break down. It is very red and very sensitive. It will probably get worse as I go along. I have been unable to wash my hair from the beginning of the treatments and as one can well imagine, it is in unbelievable condition. For one thing the gel that they coat the area with is rather grease like and has spread through some of the hair around the site. Since I wear a hat when I leave the house it has not been so noticeable for others to see, but in the house, I keep the gauze over the site and the stringy hair is very visible! Of course there is no hair around the site, it is completely bald. The area that was actually zapped by the rays will remain bald the rest of my life. Andrea is going to have to be creative in cutting my hair and styling it to cover the bald spot.

She and I talked yesterday about what could be worked out for now to get it washed. She is going to call the guy that cuts Gregg's and Brian's hair and used to cut Doc's and see if we can come up there on Wed. and use his shampoo bowl so that she can wash mine. I need to have my head back to get it washed . I got instructions today from the tech and she said as long as we keep the treatment area dry , we should be OK. The area is outlined by a blue marker so it will be easy to know where Not to get wet. We'll just come home after the shampoo and dry and cut it here at home. I am so looking forward to that! The greasy strings are really getting to me. The barbor shop is in the Breckenridge Inn which is just five minutes away so that's why we are going there instead of Andrea's which is about an hour, round trip away from here. I cannot blame this adventure on vanity... my head itches big time in the back and top and pains in the front! What would you do? Shaving my whole head is not an option!!!! ( It may all fall out anyway but if it does, I'll deal with it.)

OK that's enough for this episode. I just keep reminding myself that these are the golden years! Ciao.

No comments: